Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Former Occupation

I was once in the fortune-telling business out West, but was too successful.

I accurately predicted a drought, a prairie fire, and a run on the banks by desperate ranchers. The first event helped sell Wizard Water©, which I was just beginning to market, but folks started to avoid me after the fire. When the last prediction came true, too, the employees of three banks in Colorado City took me outside of town for a strong lecture on the responsibilities of free speech. Luckily they didn’t tie the knot tight enough and left in a hurry, so with a little help from Bleb, I was able to make it to New Orleans in time for my next business appointment.

I no longer tells fortunes, as I see very little future in it.

copyright ©2009 Laurie J. Anderson, all rights reserved.

No comments: